The Lesser of Two Evils?: A Conversation on Voting and Survivor Solidarity in the 2020 Elections
Join The Resource Center and the SHAPE Office to reflect on some tough conversations surrounding the 2020 ELECTIONS. On Zoom 2-3pm on October 17th (Facebook link, zoom link)!
This event is a discussion space to think about survivor solidarity and self-care in an election cycle where both presidential candidates have been accused of sexual assault and violence. Making the decision of voting / who to vote for / not voting at all is one that can be tough and triggering for survivors. This discussion-based event (guided by questions) will give people the tools to talk and think about these tough decisions and plan out care plans, for themselves and their loved ones. We will also be discussing what survivor support and survivorhood means to us and how that shapes our experiences. In the end, we hope to hold space for participants who might need to chat after what might be a very reflective discussion.
The event may touch on some triggering topics and to make the space and experience as comfortable as possible, some rules are:
1. Cameras don’t need to be on. people can take a break if/when they need. anyone can leave the zoom meeting whenever they like and will be let back in at any time.
2. Respect the confidentiality and vulnerability of participants. what is spoken about in the zoom meeting stays there.
3. Resources will be provided in the chat for survivor support groups, crisis hotlines, self-care tips, and other info.
4. This is not a space to place blame or judgement. goal of this event isn’t to feel validated, it is to feel comfortable and gather tools to make the decision.
5. Trigger warnings will be provided when discussing the accusations.
6. Respect different experiences and perspectives
7. There will be a chance for participants to chat with someone after the event to ask for support in any way or talk through discomfort they might be feeling (as mentioned above).
THE ZOOM LINK (2-3pm Oct 17th): https://wesleyan.zoom.us/j/91003710354
For further concerns and/or questions, email:
email@example.com (Host & Social/Political Activism Intern at the Resource Center)
firstname.lastname@example.org (Director of the Resource Center)