The following is repost of the message sent by VP Whaley on 8/15/20.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to campus. As you know, your arrival to campus this year will be quite different than usual. In addition to packing your bags (which we’d advise keeping light), please remember to complete the following steps:
- Self-quarantine during the two weeks leading up to your arrival on campus. (You should already be doing this!)
- Complete your COVID-19 test within 72 hours of returning to campus, if possible, and upload a negative test result to the CoVerified app (more on that in a moment). If your test comes back positive, if you have symptoms, or if you have a known COVID exposure, please stay home until medically cleared.
- Read and acknowledge the student Code of Conduct in your WesPortal. (This must be done in order to pick up the key to your campus residence). This document clearly states expectations for student conduct, and non-compliance will result in a student being immediately asked to leave campus in order to protect the health and safety of others.
- Read and consent to participate in COVID-19 testing on campus via your WesPortal as a condition of returning to campus for the fall semester.
- Download the CoVerified app. (You will receive an email prompting you to do so). Wesleyan will use this app to manage scheduling of COVID testing appointments on campus, deliver test results, facilitate reporting of symptoms, and enable contact tracing when cases arise.
- Update your personal contact information and emergency contact information in WesPortal. We need to be sure that the mobile number we have on file is correct.
- Be sure to pack your thermometer and fever-reducing medications to monitor your temperature or in case you become ill.
- Bring your Wes ID. If you have lost your ID, email email@example.com to request a reprint. The WesCard Office will have your replacement ID available with your residence keys upon your arrival.
Arrival on Campus
- Plan to arrive on campus on your assigned day and time. We are staggering arrival days in order to minimize crowds and allow for appropriate physical distancing. Only students may enter residences during move-in.
- Visit the COVID-19 testing site (in a tent near Fayerweather) before proceeding to your assigned residence. Every student must be tested the day they arrive on campus and again a few days later.
- Pick up your keys from ResLife at your assigned key distribution site and move into your residence.
Arrival Quarantine Specifics
- Wesleyan must observe a state-mandated, campus-wide quarantine between August 24 and September 7. During this period, students may only leave their residences for these purposes:
- To pick up meals from conveniently-located sites near residences.
- To visit the COVID testing tent.
- To retrieve mail/packages at WesStation.
- To go for a walk/jog (solo or with others in your family unit) outside on campus property.
- To do laundry on campus.
- To sit outside your residence for class.
- Once a student receives two negative on-campus test results, students living in residence halls will be able to interact with others living on their residence hall floor or with similar-sized groups of neighbors, as designated by the Office of Residential Life, for the remainder of the quarantine period.
- If you are coming from an affected state or from outside of the U.S. and arrive on campus after August 24, you must remain in campus quarantine for a full 14 days.
- The first week of classes will take place virtually due to the campus-wide quarantine. Faculty members are aware that some students may need to quarantine longer, and are prepared to accommodate them.
- The drop/add period has been extended to run from August 24 to September 11. Details are available here.
For additional information on preparing for arrival, please visit this webpage. With any additional questions, you may call (888) 675-2011 between noon and 4 p.m. EDT, or email Covid-19Info@wesleyan.edu.
Wishing you safe travels!
Dean Mike Whaley, Vice President for Student Affairs